Place:


Murston  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Murston like this:

MURSTON, a village and a parish in Mi ton district, Kent. The village stands on the Milton creek of the river Swale, near the North Kent railway, ¾ of a mile N E of Sittingbourne r. station; and has a post-office under Sittingbourne, and a quay and several docks on the creek. The parish extends to the Swale, and comprises 1, 317 acres of land, and 145 of water. ...


Real property, £3, 143. Pop. in 1851, 191; in 1861, 572. Houses, 96. The property is divided among a few. The land is chiefly marsh; and the climate is held by an old proverbto be unhealthy. Brick-making is largely carried on. There is a ferry over the Swale to Elmley. The livingt is a rectory in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £600.* Patron, St. John's College, Cambridge. The church is partly Norman, and is in good condition. There is a slightly endowed school.

Murston through time

Murston is now part of Swale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Swale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Murston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Murston, in Swale and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6288

Date accessed: 21st November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Murston ".