Place:


Monkton  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Monkton like this:

MONKTON, a village and a parish in Thanet district, Kent. The village stands near the Canterbury and Ramsgate railway, 1¼ mile N of the river Stour, 2 WNW of Minster r. station, and 6½ W of Ramsgate; was once a market town; is a scattered place; and has a post office under Ramsgate, and fairs on 22 July and 11 Oct. ...


The parish comprises 2,346 acres. Real property, £5,556. P op., 374. Houses, 83. The property is divided among a few. The manor was given in 916, by Queen Ediva, t o Christ Church, Canterbury, "to feed the monks. ''A fishery and a saltern were here at Domesday. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacies of Birchington and Acol, in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £670.* Patron, the Archbishop of Canterbury. The church is ancient but good, with a tower; includes fragments of all architectural periods; appears, from exterior arches in the N wall, to have once been larger than now; and contains a very fine brass of a priest of 1450. There are a national school, and charities £20.

Monkton through time

Monkton is now part of Thanet district. Click here for graphs and data of how Thanet has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Monkton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Monkton, in Thanet and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6286

Date accessed: 20th September 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Monkton ".