Place:


Mersham  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Mersham like this:

MERSHAM, a village and a parish in East-Ashford district, Kent. The village stands adjacent to the Tunbridge and Dover railway, 1½ mile NNW of Smeeth r. station, and 3½ SE of Ashford; is a pleasant place; and has a post office under Ashford and a fair on WhitFriday. The parish comprises 2,675 acres. ...


Real property, £5,154. Pop., 752. Houses, 143. The property is much subdivided. Mersham Hatch is the seat of Sir N. J. Knatchbull, Bart.; has belonged to his family since the time of Henry VIII.; and is a red brick mansion, rebuilt in the last century. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £632.* Patron, Oriel College, Oxford. The church is ancient but good; comprises nave, aisles, and two chancels; and contains monuments of the Hatch family. There are an endowed school with £10 a year, and charities £61.

Mersham through time

Mersham is now part of Ashford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Ashford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Mersham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Mersham, in Ashford and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6276

Date accessed: 15th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Mersham ".