Place:


Meopham  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Meopham like this:

MEOPHAM, or MEFFAM, a village and a parish in North Aylesford district, Kent. The village stands 1 mile S of the London, Chatham, and Dover railway, and 5 S of Gravesend; was known to the Saxons as Mealpaham; is a pleasant place, built round a fine green; and has a post office under Gravesend, and a railway station with telegraph. ...


The parish contains also part of the hamlet of Culverstone-Green. Acres, 4,693. Real property, £6,833. Pop. in 1851,1,045; in 1861,1,1 23. Houses, 21 1. The property is much subdivided. The manor has belonged since the 10th century to the Archbishops of Canterbury. Camer is the seat of W. M. Smith, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £500. * Patron, the Archbishop of Canterbury. The church is partly early English, but chiefly decorated; was commenced by Archbishop Simon de Meopham, and completed by Archbishop Courtenay; consists of nave, aisles, chancel, and two porches, with tower and spire; and was renovated in 1859. There are a Baptist chapel and a national school.

Meopham through time

Meopham is now part of Gravesham district. Click here for graphs and data of how Gravesham has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Meopham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Meopham, in Gravesham and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6274

Date accessed: 22nd August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Meopham ".