Place:


West Langdon  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described West Langdon like this:

LANGDON (WEST), a parish in Dover district, Kent; 1½ mile W of the Deal and Dover railway, and 4 N of Dover. Post-town, Dover. Acres, 698. Real property, £829. Pop., 106. Houses, 24. The property is divided among a few. A white canonry was found here, in 1192, by William de Auberville; went, at the dissolution, to the Archbishop of Canterbury, in exchange for other property; and has left a few ivy-covered walls. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £47. Patron, the Archbishop of Canterbury. The church has long been in a ruinous condition.

West Langdon through time

West Langdon is now part of Dover district. Click here for graphs and data of how Dover has changed over two centuries. For statistics about West Langdon itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of West Langdon, in Dover and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6252

Date accessed: 20th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " West Langdon ".