Place:


Llangadwaladr  Anglesey

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Llangadwaladr like this:

LLANGADWALADR, or EGLWYSAEL, a parish, with a village, in the district and county of Anglesey; ¾ of a mile SW of Bodorgan r. station, and 2½ ENE of Aberffraw. Post town, Aberffraw, under Bangor. Acres, 4,718; of which 1,230 are water. Real property, £2,017. Pop., 526. Houses, 119. ...


The property is much subdivided. Bodowen was formerly a seat of the Owens. Bodorgan is the seat of F. O. Meyrick, Esq.; and was, at one time, famous for remarkably fine gardens. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bangor. Value, £245.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is dedicated to St. Cadwaladr; occupies the site of one built about 650; is itself early perpendicular English; comprises nave and chancel, with N and S chapels; has a very beautiful three-light, stained-glass window; has also, in the N chapel, a good memorial window to the Meyricks; and includes, on the lintel of the naVe's S doorway, an inscribed stone of the 7th century to St. Cadwaladr's grandfather, who is styled "Catamanus Rex sapientissimus opinatissimus omninm regum." There are a village school, and charities £16.

Llangadwaladr through time

Llangadwaladr is now part of the Isle of Anglesey district. Click here for graphs and data of how the Isle of Anglesey has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Llangadwaladr itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Llangadwaladr in The the Isle of Anglesey | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6246

Date accessed: 17th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Llangadwaladr ".