Place:


Dolton  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Dolton like this:

DOLTON, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Torrington district, Devon. The village stands near the river Torridge, 6 miles NNE of Hatherleigh, and 7 W of Eggesford r. station; and has a head post office, of the name of Dolton, North Devon, and fairs on 18 March and 20 Nov. The parish comprises 3, 553 acres. ...


Real property, £3, 391. Pop., 938. Houses, 189. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to T. Owen, Esq. Halsdon house is the seat of the Furse family. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £405.* Patron. the Rev. T. W. Whale. The church is old; consists of nave, chancel, and aisles, with a square tower; and contains some fine old carved seats. There are chapels for Baptists, Brethren, and Bible Christians, and charities £6.—The sub-district contains five parishes. Acres, 15, 480. Pop., 3, 181. Houses, 626.

Dolton through time

Dolton is now part of Torridge district. Click here for graphs and data of how Torridge has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Dolton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Dolton, in Torridge and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6195

Date accessed: 14th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Dolton ".