Place:


Froxfield  Hampshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Froxfield like this:

FROXFIELD, a village and a parish in Petersfield district, Hants. The village stands 3¼ miles WNW of Petersfield town and r. station; is a beautiful place; and has a post office under Petersfield. The parish comprises 4, 898 acres. Real property, £4, 237. Pop., 657. Houses, 138. The property is subdivided. ...


Basing House, near the village, is a fine mansion. An ancient earthwork is here, and has yielded many fragments of Roman pottery. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £200. Patron, the Bishop of W. The church was built in 1863, at a cost of £2, 300; consists of nave, north aisle, and chancel; is of flint, with stone dressings; and includes some Norman work of the previous church, which was of Norman date. There are a Wesleyan chapel and an endowed school, the latter with £28 a year.

Froxfield through time

Froxfield is now part of East Hampshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Hampshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Froxfield itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Froxfield in East Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6172

Date accessed: 17th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Froxfield ".