Place:


Erdington  Warwickshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Erdington like this:

ERDINGTON, a hamlet, a chapelry, and a sub-district in Aston parish, Warwick. The hamlet lies adjacent to Staffordshire, on the Birmingham and Sutton-Coldfield railway, near the Fazeley canal and the river Tame, 4¼ miles NE by E of Birmingham; and has a station on the railway, and a post office‡ under Birmingham. ...


Real property, £20, 465. Pop., 3, 906. Houses, 722. The manor was given by William the Conqueror to the Fitz Ausculphs; and passed to the Erdingtons. There are numerous villas and good modern dwellings. The chapelry is conterminate with the hamlet, and was constituted in 1858. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £200.* Patron, the Vicar of Aston. The church is modern; and there are an Independent chapel, a Roman Catholic college for 200 students, with chapel and museum, two large orphan asylums, and a suite of alms-houses. -The sub-district includes five other hamlets, and Aston manor. Pop., 24, 447.

Erdington through time

Erdington is now part of Birmingham district. Click here for graphs and data of how Birmingham has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Erdington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Erdington, in Birmingham and Warwickshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/616

Date accessed: 13th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Erdington ".