Place:


Witley  Surrey

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Witley like this:

WITLEY, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Hambledon district, Surrey. The village stands near the Guildford and Portsmouth railway, 3½ miles SSW of Godalming; and has a post-office under Godalming, and a r. station.—The parish includes Milford chapelry, and comprises 6,328 acres. ...


Real property, £6,101. Pop., 1,555. Houses, 318. W. Heights, Wormley Hill, Hawthorn House, Pine Wood, and Brook are chief residences. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £150.* Patron, the Rev. J. Chandler. The church is early English and cruciform: and has a central tower with shingle spire. The p. curacy of Milford is a separate benefice. There are a national school, and charities £41.—The sub-district contains 8 parishes. Acres, 28,157. Pop., 6,354. Houses, 1,236.

Witley through time

Witley is now part of Waverley district. Click here for graphs and data of how Waverley has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Witley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Witley, in Waverley and Surrey | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6149

Date accessed: 26th April 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Witley ".