Place:


Silverton  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Silverton like this:

SILVERTON, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Tiverton district, Devon. The village stands between the rivers Exe and Culm, 7½ miles NNE of Exeter; was, during four days in 1645, the headquarters of Fairfax; suffered much devastation by fire in 1837; was once a market-town; and has a r. ...


station on the Bristoland Exeter railway, a post-office under Cullompton, and cattle fairs on the first Thursday of Feb. and July. The parish comprises 4,714 acres. Real property, £8,011. Pop. in 1851, 1,376; in 1861, 1,260. Houses, 281. The manor was long held by the Crown, and is now divided between the Earl of Ilchester and the representatives of the late Earl of Egremont. S. Park belongs to the latter. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £950.* Patrons, the Earl of Ilchester and the Representatives of the late Earl of Egremont. The church was recently restored. There are a national school of 1847, an endowed school of 1724 with £133 a year, and charities £44.—The sub-district contains six parishes. Acres, 19,026. Pop., 5,120. Houses, 1,120.

Silverton through time

Silverton is now part of Mid Devon district. Click here for graphs and data of how Mid Devon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Silverton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Silverton in Mid Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6145

Date accessed: 19th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Silverton ".