Monkton  Devon


In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Monkton like this:

MONKTON, a parish in Honiton district, Devon; on the river Otter, 2 miles NE of Honiton r. station. Posttown, Honiton. Acres, 1,233. Real property, £1,333. Pop., 126. Houses, 21. The manor belongs to R. S. Gard, Esq. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Colyton, in the diocese of Exeter. The church was rebuilt in 1863; is in the early English style; and contains 145 sittings.

Monkton through time

Monkton is now part of East Devon district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Devon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Monkton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Monkton in East Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 22nd March 2018

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Monkton ".