Place:


Ashford  Middlesex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ashford like this:

ASHFORD, a village and a parish in Staines district, Middlesex. The village stands amid a richly-cultivated tract, near the London, Richmond, and Reading railway, 2 miles E of Staines; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Staines. The parish includes the western part of Old Hounslow Heath, once the retreat of highwaymen, and the terror of travellers. ...


Acres, 1,378, Real property, £3,586. Pop., 784. Houses, 130. Ashford Common was formerly a field for milit ry reviews, but has now been long enclosed and cultivated. Ashford Lodge, Manor House, and Clock House are handsome seats. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of London. Value, £136. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church was rebuilt in 1859. A Welsh charity school, an edifice in the Tudor style, for 200 children. was founded in 1857.

Ashford through time

Ashford is now part of Spelthorne district. Click here for graphs and data of how Spelthorne has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ashford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ashford, in Spelthorne and Middlesex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6141

Date accessed: 23rd January 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ashford ".