Place:


Coryton  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Coryton like this:

CORYTON, or Corriton, a parish, with a r. station, in Tavistock district, Devon; on Lyd river, 7 miles NNW of Tavistock. Post town, Tavistock. Acres, 1, 334. Real property, £1, 926. Pop., 238. Houses, 48. The property is all in one estate. Slate has been largely quarried. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £208.* Patron, Sir L. Newman, Bart. The church is ancient; and was repaired and enlarged in 1838. Charities, £20.

Coryton through time

Coryton is now part of West Devon district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Devon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Coryton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Coryton in West Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6128

Date accessed: 23rd October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Coryton ".