Place:


Coveney  Cambridgeshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Coveney like this:

COVENEY, a village in Ely district, and a parish in Ely and North Witchford districts, Cambridge. The village stands near the New Bedford river, 3 miles W by S of Chittisham r. station, and 3¾ NW by W of Ely; and its post town is Ely. The parish includes also the hamlet of Wardy-Hill and the chapelry of Manea; the latter of which has a post office under March. ...


Acres, 7, 249. Real property, £14, 806. Pop., 1, 756. Houses, 382. The living is a rectory, united with the p. curacy of Manea, in the diocese of Ely. Value, £809.* Patron, Lord Rokeby. The church is small. There are chapels for Baptists and Wesleyans. A school at Manea has £70 from endowment. Conyers Middleton was rector.

Coveney through time

Coveney is now part of East Cambridgeshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Cambridgeshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Coveney itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Coveney in East Cambridgeshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6111

Date accessed: 19th December 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Coveney ".