Place:


Welford  Berkshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Welford like this:

WELFORD, a parish, with five hamlets, in Newbury district, Berks; on the river Lambourn, 4¼ miles NNE of Kintbury r. station, and 6 NW of Newbury. It has a postal wall-box under Newbury. Acres, 5,173. Real property, £7,539. Pop., 1,030. Houses, 224. The manor, with W. Park, belongs to Eyre, Esq. ...


The living is a rectory in the diocese of .Oxford. Value, £1,400.* Patron, the Rev. W. Nicholson. The church was recently rebuilt, partly after the model of the previous church, which ranged from Norman to later English and was much admired; and it has a round spire. An old chapel of ease stood at Wickham; and, excepting the lower part of the tower, was recently rebuilt. There is a national school.

Welford through time

Welford is now part of West Berkshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Berkshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Welford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Welford in West Berkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6102

Date accessed: 17th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Welford ".