Place:


Midgley  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Midgley like this:

MIDGLEY, a village and a township in Halifax parish, W. R. Yorkshire. The village stands on a lofty eminence, ¾ of a mile NW of Luddenden-foot r. station, and 4½ W by N of Halifax. The township contains also parts of the villages of Luddenden, Luddenden-foot, and Mytholmroyd. Acres, 2,110. ...


Real property, £6,797; of which £20 are in quarries. Pop. in 1851,2,393; in 1861, 2,842. Houses, 585. The manor belongs to T. Riley, Esq. Ewood Hall, Brearley Hall, Brearley House, EllenRoyd, Middlefoot, Brierhey, Dean House, White Lee, and Upper White Lee are chief residences. The surface is chiefly a mountainous tract on the N side of the vale of Calder. There are extensive cotton and worsted mills, a paper-mill, the church of Luddenden chapelry, an Independent chapel, a New Connexion Methodist chapel, and charities £39.

Midgley through time

Midgley is now part of Calderdale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Calderdale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Midgley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Midgley, in Calderdale and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/610

Date accessed: 21st October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Midgley ".