Place:


Castleford  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Castleford like this:

CASTLEFORD, a township and a parish in Pontefract district, W. R. Yorkshire. The township lies on Watling-street, the river Aire, and the York and Leeds railway, 7½ miles ENE of Wakefield; and has a station on the railway, and a post office‡ under Normanton. The Roman station Legiolium is supposed to have been here; and Roman coins, urns, pavements, and substructions have been found. ...


Coal mining, glass-making, and earthenware manufacture are largely carried on; and have occasioned much recent increase of population. A railway hence to Ardsley was opened in May, 1869. Acres, 540. Real property, £9,023. Pop., 3,876. Houses, 813. The parish includes also the township of Glass-Houghton. Acres, 2,040. Real property, £11,395. Pop., 4,365. Houses, 926. The property is much subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York. Value, £555.* Patron, the Duchy of Lancaster. The church is ancient and cruciform. There are a school church, an Independent chapel of 1862, four Methodist chapels, and two public schools.

Castleford through time

Castleford is now part of Wakefield district. Click here for graphs and data of how Wakefield has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Castleford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Castleford, in Wakefield and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/61

Date accessed: 24th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Castleford ".