Place:


Old Warden  Bedfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Old Warden like this:

WARDEN, a parish, with a village, in Biggleswade district, Beds; 1½ mile NNE of Southill r. station, and 3½ N of Shefford. Post town, Biggleswade. Acres, 3,330. Real property, £4,760. Pop., 597. Houses, 118. The manor belongs to W. H. Whitbread, Esq. W. House is the seat of Lord Ougley. A Cistertian abbey was founded here, in 1135, by W. L'Espec; and is now a fine ruin. The living is a vicarage, annexed to Southill. The church is good; and there is a national school.

Old Warden through time

Old Warden is now part of Mid Bedfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Mid Bedfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Old Warden itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Old Warden in Mid Bedfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6092

Date accessed: 12th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Old Warden ".