Place:


Weston Underwood  Buckinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Weston Underwood like this:

WESTON-UNDERWOOD, a parish, with a village, in Newport-Pagnell district, Bucks; 1¾ mile WSW of Olney, and 5 N of Newport-Pagnell r. station. It has a post-office under Newport-Pagnell. Acres, 1,300. Real property, £2,958. Pop., 398. Houses, 92. The manor has belonged, since the time of Henry VI., to the Throckmortons. ...


The poet Cowper resided, for some years, in a house still standing on the right of the village; and he described, in his poems, much of the surrounding scenery. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £51. Patron, Sir R. Throck-morton, Bart. The church is ancient. There are a Roman Catholic chapel, a R.school, a widows' charity £36, and other charities £49.

Weston Underwood through time

Weston Underwood is now part of Milton Keynes district. Click here for graphs and data of how Milton Keynes has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Weston Underwood itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Weston Underwood, in Milton Keynes and Buckinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6075

Date accessed: 22nd July 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Weston Underwood ".