Place:


Greetland  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Greetland like this:

GREETLAND, a village and a chapelry in Halifax parish, W. R. Yorkshire. The village stands 1 mile W of Elland r. station, and 3 SSW of Halifax; and has a post office under Halifax. The chapelry is part. t of the township of Elland-cum-Greetland. Pop. 2, 584. There are stone quarries, and several large woollen, worsted, and cotton mills. ...


The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon. Value, got reported. * Patron, the Vicar of Halifax. The church was built in 1860; consists of nave, chancel, transept, aisle, and porch; and is in a mixed Gothic style. There are chapels for Wesleyans, Primitive Methodists, Free Methodists, and Bible Christians.

Greetland through time

Greetland is now part of Calderdale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Calderdale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Greetland itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Greetland, in Calderdale and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/606

Date accessed: 21st October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Greetland ".