Place:


Staveley  Westmorland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Staveley like this:

STAVELEY, a village, two townships, and a chapelry, in Kendal parish, Westmoreland. The village stands on the river Kent, adjacent to the Windermere railway, 4½ miles NW of Kendal; was once a market-town; and has a post-office under Kenda1, and a r. station. The townships are Nether S. and Over S. ...


Real property, £2,038 and £2,010. Pop., 294 and 705. Houses, 54 and 141. The manor belongs to the Earl of Lonsdale. The chapelry consists of the two townships. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £120.* Patron, the Vicar of Kendal. The church was rebuilt in 1865, and is in the early English style. Drunken Barnaby was a resident.

Staveley through time

Staveley is now part of South Lakeland district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Lakeland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Staveley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Staveley, in South Lakeland and Westmorland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6053

Date accessed: 24th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Staveley ".