Place:


Halvergate  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Halvergate like this:

HALVERGATE, a parish in Blofield district, Norfolk; 3 miles SSE of Acle, and 3 N of Reedham r. station. Post town, Acle, under Norwich. Acres, 2, 675. Real property, £, 603. Pop., 541. Houses, 113. The property is subdivided. Much of the land is moor and marsh. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £325. * Patron, the Bishop of Norwich. The church is ancient; has a turretted tower; and was repaired in 1858. There are a Primitive Methodist chapel, a national school, a fuel allotment of 16 acres, and charities £5.

Halvergate through time

Halvergate is now part of Broadland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Broadland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Halvergate itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Halvergate, in Broadland and Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6044

Date accessed: 23rd October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Halvergate ".