Place:


Langham  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Langham like this:

LANGHAM, a village and a parish in Walsingham district, Norfolk. The village stands 2½ miles from the coast, 5 WNW of Holt, and 7 N E of Walsingham r. station; and has a post-office under Thetford. The parish comprises two ancient parishes, L.-Magna, and L.-Parva; and is sometimes called Bishop-Langham. ...


Acres, 1,950. Real property, £2,901. Pop, 399. Houses. 87. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to W. Rippingall, Esq. A fine modern mansion, in the Tudor style, is near a wildfowl decoy formed by Capt. Marryatt. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £146.* Patron, the Bishop of Norwich. The church has a lofty tower, and is good. There is a national school.

Langham through time

Langham is now part of North Norfolk district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Norfolk has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Langham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Langham in North Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6041

Date accessed: 11th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Langham ".