Place:


Clayton West  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Clayton West like this:

CLAYTON (West), a township in High Hoyland parish, W. R. Yorkshire; near the Barnesley and Wakefield railway, 6½ miles NW by N of Barnesley. It contains the hamlets of Cuttlehurst, Parkmill, Topitt, and Spring-Grove; and has a post office‡ under Huddersfield. Acres, 1, 098. Real property, £4, 371; of which £122 are in mines. Pop., 1, 532. Houses, 324. The woollen manufacture is largely carried on. There are chapels for Independents and Baptists; the former built in 1866.

Clayton West through time

Clayton West is now part of Kirklees district. Click here for graphs and data of how Kirklees has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Clayton West itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Clayton West, in Kirklees and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/604

Date accessed: 15th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Clayton West ".