Place:


Gwinear  Cornwall

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Gwinear like this:

GWINEAR, a village and a parish in Redruth district, Cornwall. The village stands near the Cornwall railway, 2½ miles ENE of Hayle; and has a station, of the name of Gwinear Road, on the railway, and a post office under Hayle. The parish includes also the hamlets of Cathebedron, Drannock, Fraddam, Tregortha, Camhell Green, Revala, Relistian, and Wall. ...


Acres, 4, 611. Real property, £9, 660; of which £3, 540 are in mines, £5 in quarries, and £407 in railways. Pop. in 1851, 2, 635; in 1861, 2, 880. Houses, 551. The property is much subdivided. Two old seats, now farm houses, Rosewarne and Lanyon, are near the village; the former once the property of the Arundels of Lauherne, -the latter the seat of the Lanyons, one of whom was Capt. Lanyon, who accompanied Cook in his voyages round the world. The rocks include slate, much copper ore, and some silver. The coppermines of Herland, Wheal Carpenter, Wheal Alfred, and Wheal Relistian are within the limits, but are no longer worked. Many coins of the later Roman emperors have been found. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £287.* Patron, the Bishop of Exeter. The church has a north aisle built by the Arundels, and containing a marble monument to one of their family; and is good. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a nation al school.

Gwinear through time

Gwinear is now part of Penwith district. Click here for graphs and data of how Penwith has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Gwinear itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Gwinear, in Penwith and Cornwall | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6036

Date accessed: 18th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Gwinear ".