Place:


Lamphey  Pembrokeshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Lamphey like this:

LAMPHEY, a parish in the district and county of Pembroke; on the Pembroke and Tenby railway, 2 miles ESE of Pembroke. It has a station on the railway, and a post-office under Pembroke. Acres, 1,976. Real property, £1,248. Pop., 365. Houses, 67. The manor belonged formerly to the Owens; and, with Lamphey Court, a modern mansion, belongs now to C. ...


Matthias, Esq. The ruins of Llan-Fydd, once the palace of the Bishops of St. Davids, stand within the garden of Lamphey Court, in the bottom of a valley, sheltered from the sea-wind; and comprise a long vaulted great hall, with an outside stair-case, and part of a chapel, with a fine later English E window. The palace was partly built by Bishop Gower, in 1335; was alienated to the Crown, in the time of Henry VIII.; was given, by that monarch, to Devereux, Viscount Hereford; and was inhabited, for many years of his youth, by the Viscount's famous son, the Earl of Essex. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St. Davids. Value, £97. Patron, the Bishop of St. Davids.

Lamphey through time

Lamphey is now part of Pembrokeshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Pembrokeshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Lamphey itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Lamphey in Pembrokeshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6023

Date accessed: 20th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Lamphey ".