Place:


Seaton  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Seaton like this:

SEATON, a village and a parish in Axminster district, Devon. The village stands on a small bay at the mouth of the river Axe, at the terminus of a branch railway of4¼ miles, completed in 1868 from the Colyton station of the Southwestern, and 6½ S W by S of Axminster; contests with two other places the claim of occupying the site of the Roman station Moridunum; was the landing-place of the Danes, with Scottish and Irish auxiliaries, in 937, prior to the battle of Brunenburg; is now a sea-bathing resort and a sub-port to Exeter; consists chiefly of two streets, at right angles to the shore; and has a post-office ‡ under Axminster, three good inns, and a fair on Whit-Tuesday. ...


The parish contains also the tything of Beer; and comprises 2, 766 acres of land, and 55 of water. Real property, £7, 173; of which £25 are in quarries. Pop., 1, 966. Houses, 425. The manor belongs to Sir W.Trevelyan, Bart. An ancient camp of 3 acres, either Roman or Danish, and called Honey Ditches, ison Hanna hill, adjacent to the village. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £260.* Patrons, the Heirs of Lord Rolle. The church is ancient and peculiar; includes decorated English, later English, and debased portions; and was repaired in 1866. There are a chapel of ease at Beer, and Independent chapels at Beer and Seaton.

Seaton through time

Seaton is now part of East Devon district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Devon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Seaton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Seaton in East Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/602

Date accessed: 10th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Seaton ".