Place:


Stokenchurch  Buckinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stokenchurch like this:

STOKENCHURCH, a village and a parish in the district of Wycombe and county of Oxford. The village stands on one of the Chiltern hills, 5 miles WNW of West Wycombe r. station; commands a fine view; and has a post-office‡ under Tetsworth, and a fair on 10 July. The parish includes the hamlets of Beacons-Bottom and Water-End, and comprises 4,308 acres. ...


Real property, £5,094. Pop., 1,508. Houses, 289. The manor belongs to J. Brown, Esq. Wormsley is the seat of Lieut.-Col. J. W. Fane. Chair-making is carried on. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £150.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is ancient, and belonged to Wallingford priory; and has been recently restored. There are chapels for Independents and Primitive Methodists, an endowed school, and charities £41. The regicide Scrope was a resident.

Stokenchurch through time

Stokenchurch is now part of Wycombe district. Click here for graphs and data of how Wycombe has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Stokenchurch itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stokenchurch, in Wycombe and Buckinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5995

Date accessed: 23rd October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Stokenchurch ".