Place:


Long Wittenham  Berkshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Long Wittenham like this:

WITTENHAM (Long), a parish, with a village, in Wallingford district, Berks; on the Thames, 2¾ miles NNE of Didcot r. station, and 5 NW of Wallingford. It has a post-office under Abingdon. Acres, 2,280. Real property, £3,832. Pop., 583. Houses, 127. The manor belongs to St. John's College, Oxford. ...


The Manor house is occupied by W. T. Hayward, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £166.* Patron, Exeter College, Oxford. The church ranges from Norman to Tudor; and was restored, and the chancel rebuilt, in 1850. There are a national school, and charities £30.

Long Wittenham through time

Long Wittenham is now part of South Oxfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Oxfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Long Wittenham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Long Wittenham, in South Oxfordshire and Berkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5992

Date accessed: 12th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Long Wittenham ".