Place:


St Austell  Cornwall

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described St Austell like this:

St Austell, market town and par. with ry. sta., Cornwall, 1½ mile W. of St Austell Bay, 14½ miles NE. of Truro, and 285 SW. of London - par., 12,125 ac., pop. 11,286; town, pop. 3582; P.O., T.O., 4 Banks, 1 newspaper. Market-day, Friday. St Austell has some mfrs. of iron, machinery, and woollen cloth, and a pilchard fishery; but it owes its importance to the china-clay works and tin and copper mines in its vicinity. ...


Great quantities of china-clay and china-stone are exported from the neighbouring harbours of Charlestown and Pentewan. About 2 miles NE. of the town is the Carclaze Mine, a vast excavation, of unknown antiquity, which long yielded tin but now yields china-clay. The church of St Austell (restored 1870) is one of the finest in Cornwall. St Austl Bay, 4 miles wide, penetrates 5 miles, and is separated from Mevagissey Bay on the S. by Black Head.

St Austell through time

St Austell is now part of Restormel district. Click here for graphs and data of how Restormel has changed over two centuries. For statistics about St Austell itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of St Austell, in Restormel and Cornwall | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/599

Date accessed: 14th December 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " St Austell ".