Place:


Brancaster  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Brancaster like this:

BRANCASTER, or Branchester, a village and a parish in Docking district, Norfolk. The village stands on a small bay of its own name, 4 miles NNW-of Stanhoe r. station, and 6 E by N of Hunstanton; and has a post office,‡ of the name of Brancaster, under Lynn. It occupies the site of the Roman station Branodunum, held by Dalmatian horse for repelling Saxon invaders; and it has furnished coins, urns, knives, and other Roman relics. ...


It possesses a quay for vessels, and is a coastguard station; and there is a malt-house adjacent to it, 312 feet long. The parish comprises 3,672 acres of land, and 2,105 of water. Real property, £4,893. Pop., 1,002. Houses, 243. The property is much subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £821.* Patron, the Rev.Birch. The church is good and there are a Wesleyan chapel, and charities £94.

Brancaster through time

Brancaster is now part of Kings Lynn and West Norfolk district. Click here for graphs and data of how Kings Lynn and West Norfolk has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Brancaster itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Brancaster in Kings Lynn and West Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5986

Date accessed: 13th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Brancaster ".