Place:


Newby  Westmorland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Newby like this:

NEWBY, a township in Morland parish, Westmoreland; 4¼ miles N E of Shap. Acres, 2, 887. Real property, £2, 479. Pop., 284. Houses, 54. The manor, with Newby Hall, belonged formerly to the Vernons and the Nevinsons; and belongs now to the Earl of Lonsdale. Lime-burning was formerly carried on at Towcett; buthas ceased since the railway period. There is a Wesleyan chapel.

Newby through time

Newby is now part of Eden district. Click here for graphs and data of how Eden has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Newby itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Newby, in Eden and Westmorland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5983

Date accessed: 24th March 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Newby ".