Place:


Abbots Ann  Hampshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Abbots Ann like this:

ABBOTS-ANN, a parish in Andover district, Hants; on the river Ann or Anton, adjacent to the Basingstoke and Salisbury railway, 2½ miles SW by W of Andover. It has a post office under Andover. Acres, 3,351. Real property, £3,932. Pop., 640. Houses, 140. The property is all in one estate. ...


Red Rice House, an ancient mansion, is the place where George IV. was married to Mrs. Fitzherbert. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £645.* Patrons, the heirs of Sir J. Burrough. The ancient church belonged to the Abbey of Cornelies, in Normandy. The present church is a deformed structure of last century. There is an Independent chapel.

Abbots Ann through time

Abbots Ann is now part of Test Valley district. Click here for graphs and data of how Test Valley has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Abbots Ann itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Abbots Ann, in Test Valley and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5963

Date accessed: 20th September 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Abbots Ann ".