Place:


Sprowston  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sprowston like this:

SPROWSTON, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in St. Faith district, Norfolk. The village stands 3 miles N by E of Norwich r. station; is straggling, and more than a mile long; contains some handsome residences; and has a post-office under Norwich. The parish comprises 2,576 acres. Real property, £5,939. ...


Pop. in 1851, 1,308; in 1861, 1,407. Houses, 339. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to Mr. Boycot. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £153. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Norwich. The church is ancient, and has been much altered by repairs. There is a national school.—The sub-district contains 13 parishes and a part. Acres, 19,934. Pop., 6,119. Houses, 1,319.

Sprowston through time

Sprowston is now part of Broadland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Broadland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Sprowston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sprowston, in Broadland and Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5958

Date accessed: 22nd September 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Sprowston ".