Place:


Ickleton  Cambridgeshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ickleton like this:

ICKLETON, a village and a parish in Linton district, Cambridge. The village stands on Icknield street, adjacent to the Great Eastern railway, near the boundary with Essex, 1½ mile NNW of Chesterford r. station, and 5 WSW of Linton; has a post office under Saffron-Walden, and a fair on 22 July; and was once a market town. ...


The parish comprises 2, 672 acres. Real property, £4, 002. Pop., 721. Houses, 159. The manor belongs to the Hon. Mrs. A1gernon Herbert. A Benedictine nunnery was founded here, in the time of Henry II., by the De Veres or the Cantelupes; and was given, at the dissolution, in exchange for other property, to the Bishops of Ely. Roman coins and remains of a Roman villa, together with other Roman relics, were found in 1848. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £85. * Patron, the Bishop of Peterborough. The church consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a lofty tower. Charities, £69.

Ickleton through time

Ickleton is now part of South Cambridgeshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Cambridgeshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ickleton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ickleton in South Cambridgeshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5952

Date accessed: 15th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ickleton ".