Place:


Mursley  Buckinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Mursley like this:

MURSLEY, a village and a parish in Winslow district, Bucks. The village stands 1½ mile E S E of Swan-bourne r. station, and 3¼ E by N of Winslow; was once a market town; and has a post-office under Winslow. The parish contains also the hamlet of Salden. Acres, 2, 840. Real property, £4, 248. ...


Pop., 482. Houses, 112. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to W. Selby Lowndes, Esq. A mansion of the Fortescue family stood at Salden, but was taken downin 1743. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £350.* Patron, W. Selby Lowndes, Esq. The church stands on an eminence, with a commandingview; and is a neat structure, with a tower. There are a Baptist chapel, a national infant school, and charities £7.

Mursley through time

Mursley is now part of Aylesbury Vale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Aylesbury Vale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Mursley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Mursley, in Aylesbury Vale and Buckinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5949

Date accessed: 24th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Mursley ".