Place:


Brabourne  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Brabourne like this:

BRABOURNE, two villages, a parish, and a subdistrict in East Ashford district, Kent. The villages are East Brabourne and Brabourne-Lees. East Brabourne stands 3 miles NNE of Smeath r. station, and 6 E of Ashford; has a post office under Ashford; and was once a market-town. Brabourne-Lees is a mile to the west; and also has a post office under Ashford.—The parish comprises 3,499 acres. ...


Real property, £4,697. Pop., 743. Houses, 165. The property is much subdivided. The manor belonged to Aymer de Valence; and passed to the Scotts and the Honeywoods. Much of the land is cold wet clay. Large barracks stood near BrabourneLees, but have been removed. The living is a vicarage, united with the rectory of Monks-Horton, in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £320. Patron, the Archbishop of Canterbury. The church is early English; contains monuments of the Scotts; and is in good condition. A yew stood in the churchyard in Evelyn's time, 59 feet in girth. There are two Baptist chapels, and charities £8.-The subdistrict contains seven parishes. Acres, 11,035. Pop., 4,032. Houses, 794.

Brabourne through time

Brabourne is now part of Ashford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Ashford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Brabourne itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Brabourne, in Ashford and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5944

Date accessed: 19th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Brabourne ".