Place:


Bawdeswell  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bawdeswell like this:

BAWDESWELL, a parish and a subdistrict in the district of Mitford, Norfolk. The parish lies a little N of the Wensum river, 3 miles E by S of Elmham r. station, and 3½ W by S of Reepham; and has a post office under Thetford. Acres, 1,196. Real property, £2,740. Pop., 515. Houses, 127. ...


The property is much sub-divided. Bawdeswell Hall is a chief residence. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £208 Patron, Rev. H. Lombe. The church is recent; and there are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, and an endowed school with £20.-The subdistrict comprises eight parishes. Pop., 3,333.

Bawdeswell through time

Bawdeswell is now part of Breckland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Breckland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bawdeswell itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bawdeswell, in Breckland and Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5933

Date accessed: 20th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bawdeswell ".