Place:


North Lopham  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described North Lopham like this:

LOPHAM (NORTH), a village and a parish in Guiltcross district, Norfolk. The village stands 3 miles N of the boundary with Suffolk, 4½ SE of East Harling r. station, and 11 E of Thetford; carries on a manufacture of linen, diaper, dowlas, and huckaback; and has a postoffice under Thetford. ...


The parish comprises 2,000 acres. Real property, £3,575. Pop. in 1851,832; in 1861,771. Houses, 173. The property is much subdi-vided. The manor and much of the land belong to the Duke of Norfolk. The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of South Lopham, in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £619.* Patron, the Rev. J. Bateman, who must present a Fellow of St. John's College, Cambridge. The church was built by W. Bigod; has a Norman porch; exhibits, on the exterior and round the buttresses, many Latin inscriptions; and the chancel was restored in 1862. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, a free school, and charities £100, besides 103 acres of fuel allotment.

North Lopham through time

North Lopham is now part of Breckland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Breckland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about North Lopham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of North Lopham, in Breckland and Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5926

Date accessed: 18th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " North Lopham ".