Place:


Owslebury  Hampshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Owslebury like this:

OWSLEBURY, a village and a parish in Winchester district, Hants. The village stands 2½ miles E of the Southwestern railway, and 4½ S S E of Winchester; and has a post-office under Winchester. The parish contains also the hamlets of Baybridge, Hurst-Common, Marwell, and Rosehill. Acres, 5, 331. ...


Real property, £5, 377. Pop., 843. Houses, 193. The property is much sub-divided. The manor belongs to the Mildmays of Dog-mersfield. Rosehill belongs to the Earl of Nor thesk. Marwell Hall is the seat of W. Long, Esq. A residence of the bishops of Winchester was anciently at Marwell Manor Farm; but is now represented by only plain doorways of the 14th and 15th centuries, and by a moat. Owslebury down is a meet for the Hambledon hounds. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £169.* Patron, the Vicar of Twyford. The church is early decorated English, and cruciform; was recently restored and enlarged; has a central tower; and was the last church in Hants in which mass was celebrated. The p. curacy of Colden-Common is a separate benefice. There are a national school with £14 a year from endowment, and charities £16.

Owslebury through time

Owslebury is now part of Winchester district. Click here for graphs and data of how Winchester has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Owslebury itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Owslebury, in Winchester and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5925

Date accessed: 26th June 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Owslebury ".