Place:


Denton  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Denton like this:

DENTON, a parish in Dover district, Kent; under Barham Down, 3½ miles SW of Shepherd's Well r. station, and 7½ NW by W of Dover. Post town, Wooton, under Canterbury. Acres, 1, 062. Real property, £1, 221. Pop., 183. Houses, 33. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged to the Eardes; and passed to the Peytons, the Boyses, the Whorwoods, the Markhams, and others. ...


Denton Court, a Tudor mansion, was the seat of Sir E. Brydges, and a visiting residence of the poet Gray. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £169.* Patron, the Rev. G.La Motte. The church is early English.

Denton through time

Denton is now part of Dover district. Click here for graphs and data of how Dover has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Denton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Denton, in Dover and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5914

Date accessed: 14th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Denton ".