Place:


Bridestowe  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bridestowe like this:

BRIDESTOW, a village and a parish in Okehampton district, Devon. The village lies in a pleasant valley, near Dartmoor, 6 miles SW of Okehampton, and 11 N by E of Tavistock r. station; was formerly called Bridgetstow; and has a post office of the name of Bridestow, North Devon, and fairs on the first Wednesday of June and 29 July. ...


The parish comprises 5,661 acres. Real property, £3,995. Pop., 832. Houses, 176. The property is divided among a few. Millaton House is the seat of J. G. Newton, Esq., and contains a collection of natural history objects from Dartmoor; and Leawood was long the seat of the Calmady family, and is now the seat of S.Hamlyn, Esq. There are extensive limeworks. The living is a rectory, united with the p. curacy of Sourton, in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £424.* Patron, the Bishop of Exeter The church is very old; has a curious Norman gateway; and was restored in 1866. There are chapels for Independents, Wesleyans, and Bible Christians, and a fine school of 1863.

Bridestowe through time

Bridestowe is now part of West Devon district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Devon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bridestowe itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bridestowe in West Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5896

Date accessed: 23rd October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bridestowe ".