Place:


South Walsham  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described South Walsham like this:

WALSHAM (South), a village, two parishes, and a sub-district, in Blofield district, Norfolk The village stands 4¼ miles NE of Brundall r. station, and 9 ENE of Norwich; and has a post-office under Norwich.-The parishes are St. Lawrence and St. Mary. Acres, 3,149. Real property, £6,776. ...


Pop., 220 and 336. Houses, 47 and 75. Most of the property is divided between two. The living of St. L. is a rectory, and that of St. M. is a vicarage, in the diocese of Norwich. Value of St. L., £516;* of St. M., £162. Patron of St. L., Queen's College, Cambridge; of St. M., Norwich Hospital. The churches stand in one churchyard; and that of St. L. was destroyed by fire in 1827, but restored and enlarged in 1832. There are a national school, and charities £52. --The sub-district contains 18 parishes. Acres, 26,362. Pop., 5,734. Houses, 1,215.

South Walsham through time

South Walsham is now part of Broadland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Broadland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about South Walsham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of South Walsham, in Broadland and Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5893

Date accessed: 06th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " South Walsham ".