Place:


Chale  Hampshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Chale like this:

CHALE, a parish in the Isle of Wight; on the south coast, 6½ miles W of Ventnor. It has a post office under Southampton. Acres, 2,375; of which 80 are water. Real property, £3,940. Pop., 584. Houses, 130. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged to Carisbrooke priory; and passed to the Pelhams. ...


Chale Farm house is an interesting architectural relic, with features of decorated English. The coast includes Blackgang chine; and the interior includes St. Catherine's hill. A slight indentation of the coast, 3 miles long, bears the name of Chale bay; is overhung by terrific cliffs; and was the scene of the shipwreck of the "Clarendon" in 1836. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £334. Patron, James Theobald, Esq. The church is partly transition Norman; has a perpendicular English tower; and contains a piscina, and a handsome monument to Major-General Sir Henry Worsley. The graves of many of the passengers and crew of the Clarendon, with a monument to the Shores, are in the churchyard. An endowed school has £22.

Chale through time

Chale is now part of the Isle of Wight district. Click here for graphs and data of how the Isle of Wight has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Chale itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Chale, in The the Isle of Wight and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5890

Date accessed: 12th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Chale ".