Place:


Sithney  Cornwall

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sithney like this:

SITHNEY, a village and a parish in Helston district, Cornwall. The village stands 2 miles WN W of Helston, and 7½ S of Camborne r. station. The parish includes Porthleven chapelry, and is all within Helston borough. Post town, Helston, Cornwall. Acres, 5,898; of which 65 are foreshore. Pop. ...


in 1851, 2,773; in 1861, 3,306. Houses, 657. Penrose, Antron, and Trevarno are chief residences. A preceptory of Knights Hospitallers stood near Helston. Tin and copper ores are worked; and lead ore was formerly mined. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £435.* Patron, the Bishop of E. The church is ancient but good. The p. curacy of Porthleven is a separate benefice. There are chapels for Baptists and Wesleyans, a national school, and charities £8.

Sithney through time

Sithney is now part of Kerrier district. Click here for graphs and data of how Kerrier has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Sithney itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sithney, in Kerrier and Cornwall | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5881

Date accessed: 19th October 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Sithney ".