Place:


Witchford  Cambridgeshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Witchford like this:

WITCHFORD, a parish and a hundred in Cambridge. The parish lies 3 miles W by S of Ely r. station, and has a postal pillar-box under Ely. Acres, 2,376. Real property, £5,266. Pop., 559. Houses, 118. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £230.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Ely. The church was restored in 1851.-The hundred contains 12 parishes; and is cut into two divisions, N and S. Acres, 59,823 and 37,462. Pop. in 1851, 16,243 and 8,564; in 1861, 29,827. Houses, 6,602.

Witchford through time

Witchford is now part of East Cambridgeshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Cambridgeshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Witchford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Witchford in East Cambridgeshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5878

Date accessed: 20th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Witchford ".