Place:


Taplow  Buckinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Taplow like this:

TAPLOW, a parish, with a village, in Eton district, Bucks; on the river Thames and the great Western railway, 1 mile E of Maidenhead. It has a station on the railway, and a post-office under Maidenhead. Acres, 1,920. Real property, £5,670; of which £25 are in fisheries, and £100 in gasworks. ...


Pop. in 1851, 704; in 1861, 811. Houses, 126. The property is subdivided. Cliefden is the seat of the Duke of Sutherland , and has been separately noticed. T. Court was formerly the seat of the Earl of Orkney, and is now the seat ofP. Grenfell, Esq. There are several fine villas. The living is a rectory In the diocese of Oxford. Value, £465.* Patron, the Bishop of O. The church was built in 1828. There are a national school, and charities £25.

Taplow through time

Taplow is now part of South Bucks district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Bucks has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Taplow itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Taplow, in South Bucks and Buckinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5872

Date accessed: 21st May 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Taplow ".