Place:


Dogmersfield  Hampshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Dogmersfield like this:

DOGMERSFIELD, a parish in Hartley-Wintney district, Hants; on the Basingstoke canal, 2 miles E by N of Odiham, and 2½ SW of Winchfield r. station. Post town, Winchfield. Acres, 1, 728. Real property, £1, 394. Pop., 251. Houses, 54. The manor, with all the property, belonged once to the see of Canterbury; had a palace of the Archbishops, the foundations of which are traceable; passed, at the Reformation, to Wriothesley, Earl of Southampton; went afterwards through many hands, to Ellis Mewe, Esq., who took the name of St. ...


John, and whose grandson added that of Mildmay; and belongs now to Lady St. John Mildmay. Homersfield Park, Lady Mildmay's seat, stands in well-wooded grounds, and contains some interesting pictures and a very rich Italian vase. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £331.* Patron, Lady St. J. Mildmay. The church is modern and handsome. Charities, 1¼ acre of poors' land.

Dogmersfield through time

Dogmersfield is now part of Hart district. Click here for graphs and data of how Hart has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Dogmersfield itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Dogmersfield, in Hart and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5840

Date accessed: 21st February 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Dogmersfield ".