Place:


Market Overton  Rutland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Market Overton like this:

OVERTON-MARKET, a village and a parish in Oakham district, Rutland. The village stands near the Oakham canal, ¾ of a mile S S E of the boundary with Leicester, 2½ N E of Ashwell r. station, and 5½ N N E of Oakham; was once a market-town; and has a post-office under Oakham. ...


The parish comprises 2, 840 acres. Real property, £3, 338. Pop. in 1851, 498; in 1861, 429. Houses, 92. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to J. M. Wingfield, Esq. The parish is a meet for the Cottesmore hounds. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £500.* Patron, J. M. Wingfield, Esq. The church is early English; was restored in 1861; and has a tower, with an old sundial, said to have been given by Sir Isaac Newton. There are a parochial school, and charities £13. The mother of Sir Isaac Newton lived some years in the village.

Market Overton through time

Market Overton is now part of Rutland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Rutland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Market Overton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Market Overton in Rutland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5833

Date accessed: 19th January 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Market Overton ".